Thursday, March 20, 2014

Choking




I've been around kids for a very long time. I started working at a Montessori school when I was 20. I have babysat, taught and nannied at least a dozen children. I have been hit, pinched, bit and kicked. I have been yelled at. I have had tiny bodies flung at me. I have never before been choked by a child. Until now.

I don't know where he picked it up (not from us...seriously!) but when gabe gets upset he reaches out and chokes me. It's happened twice now. The first time I was stooped down talking to him about going to the bathroom by yourself and not with your friends. He was upset. He screamed no and then lunged at me with his hands around my throat. The second time, was this past weekend when it was time for bed. I brought him to the basement to say goodnight to Sidney and he was very tired and very upset. He was crying and screaming. As I was trying to get him up the stairs, he somehow wriggled out of my arms and was facing me. I'm was gently telling him it was bedtime. Sidney was even trying to help. Then he lunged again and choked me. I pulled away and he did it again! I scooped him up like a football and got him into bed.

I am unsure if what to do. It's kinda scary. Kids can have super strength sometimes. and not knowing where he learned it, I don't know what to make sure he doesn't see again. If it was a cartoon or something, I would just make sure we didn't watch that one, but I am at a loss. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions. As far as I know, he hasn't tried with with anyone else.


-jen

No comments: