Sunday, September 11, 2011

In remembrance

I have to write about today's anniversary.

On September 11, 2001, I was getting ready for an early day at navy pier. I was watching the today show with my mom like we always did in the mornings. Matt and Katie were talking about the first plane flying into the first tower. They were showing a live shot of the trade centers. I believe they were talking about what could have happened, unsure of what was going on. Then it happened. I watched in horror as the second tower was hit by another plane. All I remember was thinking "is this really happening? What is going on? Should I go downtown to work?"

I had to go to work. It was very strange at the pier. It was earlier than normal and usually there were not any people there. But that day there were men and women in the suits walking around an otherwise deserted pier. We were asking constantly if the pier was safe and if it was going to remain open. It was scary. It was also sad and overwhelming.

The pier didn't stay open long that day and it seemed like very one was in a rush to leave. Personally, I just didn't want to be downtown, at a tourist attraction. I wanted to be as far away from there as possible, just in case. I remember taking the streets home because I was afraid of the expressway. It took a really long time and I know that I was on the phone with Jorge for part of the ride. I was glad that everyone that we knew was safe.


It's strange. I love history. I never expected to be apart of it in a little way. No, I wasnt there. However, Jorge and I had just returned from new york a few days before. I also I feel like I watched it happen. I didn't see news about it after the fact. I sat there watching the today show and saw the second plane hit. I think it made it a little more real for me. I was a mess this morning when they were showing all of the footage from the memorial. The saddest moment came when a little boy read the names and he dedicated his reading in memory of his father whom he never met because he was still in his moms belly. *tears*


I would like to dedicate this to all of the men and women and children who lost their lives that day and to all of the men and women who are fighting for our freedom. Thank you


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: